What’s for Dinner? Steak Sandwiches
October 27, 2008
Here are two of my favorite steak sandwiches that are delicious, healthy and oh so simple. These are some sandwich recipes I developed for Laura’s Lean Beef. See www.laurasleanbeef.com for more great recipes, tips and information.
The mayonnaise spread mixture for each of these are also great as a sandwich spread, but feel free to make extra and use as a dip for fresh vegetables, crackers or pita chips.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Chill Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 15 minutes
1/4 cup Dijon mustard, divided
1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns, crushed and divided
1 pound Laura’s any steak cut
1/3 cup light mayonnaise
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
3 plum tomatoes, chopped
1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
1/2 medium cucumber, halved and thinly sliced
6 low-fat flour tortillas
1. Stir together 2 tablespoons mustard and two-thirds of crushed peppercorns; rub evenly over beef. Cover and chill 2 hours.
2. Grill beef, covered with grill lid, over medium high heat (350° to 400°) for 5 minutes on each side or to desired degree of doneness. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut steak across the grain into thin slices.
3. Stir together mayonnaise, lemon juice, lemon rind, remaining 2 tablespoons mustard, and remaining one-third of crushed peppercorns.
4. Arrange beef slices evenly down center of each tortilla. Sprinkle evenly with tomato, onion, and cucumber. Top evenly with mayonnaise mixture, and roll up.
1. Broil steak 5 1/2 inches from heat (with electric oven door partially opened) 5 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Cut steak across the grain into thin slices.
Makes 6 servings.
Cooking Tips: Heat tortillas by sprinkling each with a light spray of water; wrap in foil, and bake at 325° for 10 minutes. Microwave between paper towels according to package directions to make them more pliable and less likely to tear when rolling up.
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving
Using Laura’s Lean Sirloin Tip Round
CALORIES 223 (30% from fat); FAT 7.3g (sat 1.9g); PROTEIN 19.4g; CARB 19.0g; FIBER 7.1g; CHOL 38mg; IRON 7.2mg; SODIUM 554mg.
Italian Steak Sandwiches
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Chill time: 30 minutes
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
4 (4-ounce) Laura’s Lean Ribeye Steaks
1/3 cup low-fat mayonnaise
2 tablespoons chopped sun-dried tomatoes
8 Italian bread slices
1 cup chopped lettuce
2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
4 teaspoons crumbled blue cheese
1. Combine Worcestershire sauce and vinegar in a zip-top plastic bag. Add steaks and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
2. Grill steaks, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat (350° to 400°) about 8 to 10 minutes on each side or to desired degree of doneness. Slice across the grain into thin slices.
3. Combine mayonnaise and sun-dried tomatoes. Spread mayonnaise mixture on bread slices. Layer steak, lettuce, tomatoes, blue cheese and top with remaining bread slices.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Cooking Tips: You may add chopped red onion to the mayonnaise for added flavor. Also incorporating blue cheese into the mayo mixture will keep the crumbles from falling off.
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving Based on 6 Servings
CALORIES 317 (38% from fat); FAT 13.4g (sat 3.4g); PROTEIN 21.0g; CARB 27.3g; FIBER 1.9g; CHOL 46mg; IRON 1.5mg; SODIUM 885mg.
“Courtesy of Laura’s Lean Beef”