March 13, 2009
Instead of using pizza crust, why not try pita bread? This recipe is great topped with Italian sausage, green peppers and mushrooms, but feel free to use your own favorite toppings. These pizzas can also be grilled easily. Grill over medium heat 7 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is lightly browned. Not only are these pizzas delicious, but they are economical and child-friendly.
Mushroom Pita Pizzas
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
3/4 lb. spicy Italian sausage
1 cup marinara sauce
4 (6-inch) pita bread rounds
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1 cup diced green bell pepper
11/3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Brown sausage in a medium pan over medium heat 5 minutes or until meat crumbles; drain, if needed
2. Spread each pita round with 1/4 cup marinara sauce. Top evenly with sausage, mushrooms, green pepper and cheese.
3. Bake at 350F 15 minutes or until pita is browned and cheese is melted.
February 24, 2009
It’s pizza night at my house, so I thought I would share this recipe. With only 240 calories and 9 grams of fat, you can’t go wrong. Feel free to add cooked chicken or shrimp on this pizza. And if you want a shortcut, purchase jarred pesto in the grocery store. I love using Mama Mary’s crust or Boboli, which work great on busy weeknights (which is always at my house with 3 kids, especially during baseball season).
Prep: 15 minutes
cook: 12 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
FOR THE PESTO:
4 cups basil leaves
2 garlic cloves
1/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil
FOR THE PIZZA:
3 cups chopped seeded tomato (about 2 pounds)
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup thinly sliced basil leaves
1. Preheat oven to 475°.
2. To prepare pesto, place 4 cups basil leaves and 2 garlic cloves in a food processor, and pulse 5 times or until coarsely chopped. With processor on, add broth, Parmesan, and oil through food chute; process until well-blended.
3. To prepare pizza, place pizza crust on a baking sheet. Spread pesto over crust, leaving a 1/2-inch border; top with the tomato, garlic slices, and mozzarella. Bake at 475° for 12 minutes or until the cheese melts. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup basil. Cut the pizza into 8 wedges.